The MECP Basic Installation Technician Certification is the industry's "apprentice level" certification, which many MECP-supporting retailers require as a prerequisite for employment. Basic MECP Certification is valid for two years and has no prior industry experience prerequisites.
Basic Level Exam
The Basic Installation Technician certification exam contains 150 multiple choice questions and is divided into five sections. This exam is intended for entry level technicians with little to no professional experience. Use the MECP Basic Installation Technician study guide and online practice exam as study resources for this exam.
Job Duties and Skills
The MECP Basic Installation Technician position involves carefully and correctly installing and configuring entry level aftermarket electronic products in a wide range of vehicles with at least some supervision, assisting experienced technicians on other more complex installations, and dealing directly with customers before, during, and after the installation in a courteous manner.
Basic duties and responsibilities included, but not limited to:
- Install direct replacements of in-dash audio/video source units retaining functionality of existing factory installed electronics and features with the use of wire harness and antenna adapters, dash kits, and other commercially available integration devices.
- Install speakers in factory supplied locations, either direct replacement or with adapters so fit and function are factory like.
- Install audio amplifiers with high current power wiring, proper circuit protection, signal input, and output wiring configurations.
- Install subwoofers into pre-fabricated enclosures. Properly wire single and dual voice coil subwoofers to the required resistance configuration for the amplifier(s).
- Install plug-and-play interface and adapter devices for adding various source components such as portable media players, DVD players, Satellite or HD Radio, etc.
- Install communication antennas for GPS, Satellite Radio, Telematic Systems and other devices without compromising the exterior fit and finish of the vehicle.